I am working on making easier on your eyes…thanks for your patience!
1 lb lean ground beef
¾ cup milk
1 Tbspn Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp dried sage leaves
½ tsp gr. Mustard
¼ tsp gr. Pepper
1 clove fresh garlic
1 handful spinach chopped (adjust if desired)
10-15 ritz crackers crushed
1 sm. Onion finely chopped
¼ cup ketchup
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl
- Put in loaf pan
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour
- Let stand 5 minutes
- Remove from pan
The spinach is optional. You can add more or less depending on what you desire. I happened to have left over spinach so I thought I’d add it in. We’ll see if the husband notices… J
1 lb ground beef
1 jar spaghetti sauce
¾ cup water
16 oz ricotta cheese
12 oz grated mozzarella
½ cup parmesan cheese
2-4 Tbsp Basil Pesto (vary by preference)Instructions
- Brown ground beef in saucepan until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Stir spaghetti sauce and water in with ground beef
- Bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Mix ricotta and mozzarella cheese with basil pesto in medium bowl.
- Arrange enough lasagna noodles to cover bottom of 9×13 baking pan
- Spoon ½ sauce over noodles. Top with ½ cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers with remaining noodles, sauce cheese mixture.
- Top with parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bake lasagna, covered, until noodles are soft, and cheese is melted. About 1 hour.
- Remove cover after 45-50 minutes to brown cheese if desired
CommentsThis is the perfect dish for hosting a party. You can do all the work ahead of time so when the guests are at your place you can enjoy time with them while your meal bakes.
Home-made & Healthy Granola Bars
1. Add ½ cup of almonds, pecans and oatmeal to the food processor for a quick blend.
2. Put the coarse mixture into a medium bowl.
3.Rough chopped the other ½ cup of the almonds and pecans and added them to the bowl.
4. Add ½ cup of dried bing cherries and ½ cup craisins (or any dried fruit of choice).
5. Added 3 Tbsp to a small saucepan along with 6 tbsp of honey, ¼ tsp of vanilla extract, ¼ tsp of almond extract, and a dash of cinnamon
6. Let the mixture melt (over medium-high heat). From the time it begins to foam, let it heat for 15 more seconds then take it off the heat.
7. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix it all up!
8. Plop the mixture into a 8×8 baking pan (or larger I found out they were pretty thick in an 8×8 pan).
**To make it easier to remove and cut and prevent getting dried out, line the pan with enough cling wrap to hang over the sides quite a bit.
9. Take the extra cling wrap and fold it over the bars and stick them in the fridge to cool and harden. Make sure the bars are airtight.
10. When the granola is hard you can up-wrap them from the cling wrap and use the extra length to pull the whole square right out of the pan.
11. Cut and serve
* This recipe was found on iowagirleats.com and slightly modified**
Spicy Black Bean Burgers
¼ cup bread crumbs (homemade)
3 Tbspn Canola Mayonnaise
2 tsp Salsa seasoning packet
1 (15 oz) can black beans
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/8 cup cilantro freshly chopped
2 slices Marble Jack Cheese (optional)
1.Use a food processor (or mini blender) to process bread crumbs, mayo, seasoning, and half the beans until blended.
2.In a large bowl add in celery, cilantro and the rest of the beans
3.Form 3-4 patties, make sure they are fairly small because these are crumbly burgers
4.Cook in a pan for about 5 minutes per side over medium heat.
5.Top with cheese slice (if desired) and cook until it melts.
6. Put on a bun or between two pieces of lettuce or spinach
7. Top with your favorite fixings and enjoy!
Fiesta Chicken and Rice Bake
In a shallow baking dish mix 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup of salsa, ½ cup water, 1 cup whole kernel corn and ¾ cup uncooked rice.
Place 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves on top of the other mixture in the baking pan. Sprinkle with paprika over everything.
Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with ½ cup Marble Jack Cheese.
Strawberry Muffin Bread
The recipe was as follows:
½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
2 cups fresh strawberries
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp breaking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup milk
Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease a bread pan. Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat until combined.
Mash ½ cup of the strawberries ( or use magic bullet like I did). Add to butter mixture beat to incorporate.
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture and milk to the batter. Fold in remaining 1 ½ cups strawberries.
Put in pan, slice 3 strawberries and place slices on top of the loaf. Bake for 40 minutes, let cool. Cut and serve!
Completos (Chilean Hotdogs)
4- Turkey Brats
2 Tbsp Extra-virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium green pepper (the recipe calls for jalapeno but I substituted)
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup peeled and diced red tomatoes
1 large ripe avocado, roughly chopped
4 Tbsp Butter, softened
1 tsp minced garlic
2 sub rolls (for buns)
1.Cook the turkey brats according to the package instructions (I go until they break open)
2.In a bowl whisk together the olive oil, cilantro, pepper, and lime juice. Fold in the tomatoes and avocado, lightly toss, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3.In a small bowl, mix the butter and garlic. Spread the mixture onto the sub roll. In a large frying pan over medium heat place the rolls in the pan and toast until golden.
4.To serve, tuck the hot dogs in the toasted rolls and top with the tomato and avocado mixture. Serve immediately.
2 cans of black beans, rinsed, divided
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil1 small onion, chopped
1 cup carrots thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery, chopped
4 tsp minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 cup white wine (cupcake to be exact)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1 box of whole-wheat penne pasta
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil
2. Mash 1 cup of beans in a bowl (or food process)
3.Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and bay leaves; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add wine; increase heat to high and boil until the liquid is mostly evaporated. Add tomato with liquid and tomato soup, and mashed beans. Bring to a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add the remaining whole beans, cook, until heated through, stirring occasionally.
4. cook pasta until just tender according to package directions. Drain. 5.Remove the bay leaves from the sauce. Divide pasta up and top with sauce.
Chicken Avocado Wrap
Cook the chicken and this can be made either hot or cold so it works great for left over chicken too!
Lay out your wrap and add:
1/4-1/2 avocado raw, diced
3-4 oz diced chicken
1 Tbsp light ranch
Roll it up and enjoy! It’s a great flavor combo!
Banana Nut Bread
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 bananas, mashed
Walnuts (use at your own digression)
1.Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.In one bowl, whisk together flour, soda, salt, and sugar. Mix in slightly beaten eggs, melted butter, and mashed bananas. Stir in nuts if desired. Pour into prepared pans. Sprinkle walnuts on top as desired.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Pumpkin Swirl Muffins
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (I used fat free)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
1.Blend cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 beaten egg. Set aside.
2.Combine flour, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
3.Combine pumpkin, butter or margarine, beaten egg, and water. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, mixing just until moistened. Reserve 2 cups of the pumpkin batter. Pour the remaining batter into a greased and floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Pour cream cheese mixture over pumpkin batter, and top with reserved pumpkin batter. Cut through batter several times with a knife for a swirl effect. (I went with muffins. The process can be seen below)
4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 70 minutes (22 min. for muffins), or until tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
|A spoonful of pumpkin batter…|
Check out www.foodgawker.com when looking for fun dishes to make. It’s my new favorite past time!
|Meatloaf the process of adding everything|
1 lb. Very lean ground turkey
1/4 cup Cracker crumbs
1/2 cup Minced onion
Dash of Garlic powder
1/3 cup Finely diced tomatoes
1 Egg, beaten
4 Tbspns Finely diced green peppers
Mix all ingredients and shape into laof in greased baking pan, at 350 degrees until cooked through, about 1 hour.
This weekend after my 7 mile run I wanted a little protein. I found an open package of yoplait frozen smoothie mix.
1/4 package of Yoplait Smoothie mix
1/2 scoop of Super Advanced Whey Protein
1/2 cup of water
Just blend it all up. It’s easy to make, sweet and high in protein! Great post workout smoothie!